The Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) has unveiled that it is merging the highly-anticipated Level Up KL gaming expo into the Malaysia Digital Content Festival 2023 (MYDCF). This fusion of events will occur from September 27, 2023, to October 1, 2023, at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre.
MYDCF represents an unprecedented confluence of core events, combining the best of LEVEL UP KL, Kre8tif, and IMMERSE KL. This festival promises a celebration of gaming showcases, tournaments, animation screenings, exhibitions, digital comic displays, workshops, and technology demonstrations.
MYDCF Lineup of Events and Activities
- B2B Conference (September 27 – 29, 2023): Tailored exclusively for industry professionals, this conference offers a platform for networking, gaining insights from industry experts, and exploring potential collaborations.
- Weekend Festival (September 29 – October 1, 2023): Accessible to all and free of charge, this festival will feature:
- Bushiroad Expo Asia 2023: 500 players competing in various popular trading card games.
- Beyblade X Tournament: The region’s finest players will go head-to-head in this Asian tournament.
- Mobile Legend Bang Bang (MLBB) Junior Cup: Welcoming school students for the third consecutive year.
- Game Showcase by Soft Source Publishing: Get a sneak peek at upcoming titles like Harvest Moon: The Winds of Anthos, Grime, DreadOut 2, and more.
- Animation Showcase: Featuring titles such as Boboiboy, Mechamato, Ejen Ali, Omar and Hana, and many more.
- Sony Malaysia: Interactive PlayStation 5 and PlayStation VR2 demos and a Gran Turismo Rig.
- SEA Game Awards and SEA Kre8tif Awards (September 28 – 29, 2023): Celebrating excellence in games and animation films across ASEAN while recognising creativity and innovation in Southeast Asia’s digital content landscape.
- XR Asia Summit (September 27 – 29, 2023): In collaboration with Broadcast Elements, visitors will explore the latest advancements in Virtual, Augmented, and XR domains.
- NoizuCon (September 29 – October 1, 2023): Immerse yourself in the expansive realms of gaming and pop culture at this convention.
- Workshops (Every Weekend of September): In partnership with Xsolla KL, industry professionals’ workshops aim to empower creators with industry insights and skills. With contributions by PlayStation Studios Malaysia, Virtuos, Anima Vitae, Epic Games, and CIRCLE Studios.
Could this be the End of Level Up KL or the Start of Something New?
Our thoughts on this merger are somewhat conflicted. While it presents an opportunity to create a more diverse and inclusive event that goes beyond gaming, we can’t help but feel a tinge of sadness. Level Up KL, a local event with a prestigious reputation, may lose some of its distinctiveness in the midst of a larger event. However, we remain hopeful that this won’t mark the end for Level Up KL and eagerly anticipate its future iterations.
Mahadhir Aziz, Chief Executive Officer of MDEC, optimistically commented, “MYDCF 2023 presents a unique blend of creativity, innovation, and industry expertise. In alignment with the Malaysia Digital (MD) national strategic initiative and PEMANGKIN programs, this event provides an exceptional platform for collaboration and inspiration.“
For more information about MYDCF 2023, please visit www.mydcf.my/.